Redesigning your website should be a benefit to your Internet marketing. Here’s how to avoid tanking your search engine rankings during the redesign process.
Website Redesigns and SEO Issues: Don’t Tank Your Rankings
Website redesigns can help update your code, improve user experiences, and drive improved results… If launched thoughtfully, then there’s nothing to worry about. However, website redesigns can implode your search engine rankings due to poor planning.
This usually stems from not connecting your SEO team with your website design and development team.
Early in my career, I was part of a team that came in to fix a massive screw up. It was a multimillion dollar staffing cost, plus the cost of lost online revenue. This isn’t just a small business issue, but they can certainly learn from the financial mistakes of others.
Easy SEO Steps to Take During a Redesign
Losing SEO value can be detrimental to your cash flows. Don’t make the mistake of skipping these steps before you go through a website redesign process.
- Don’t start a redesign without talking to your SEO team (find one if you don’t have one yet).
- Talk to your SEO team about what’s important in your redesign (ex. Usability, modernized look, faster load times, etc).
- Connect your SEO team with your website design team. They need to be on the same page.
- Make sure that your SEO team and website design team actually connected.
- Share your dev/staging site with your SEO team – it’s better for them to comb through it during development with you vs fixing a disastrous launch.
A solid SEO team/freelancer should know exactly what to look for during a website redesign to help the launch go flawless.
Do you need help during this process? I’ll connect you with my trusted development teams that have worked with my nitpicky SEO request for years. Tell me about your project >>