When we started TrustWorkz, we knew that small businesses were routinely being taken advantage of by SEO, content marketing, and social media companies*. Unfortunately, some bad eggs out there were ruining the reputation of digital marketers and we wanted to take part in stopping it. Our goal was to deliver excellent services at an affordable price.
Yesterday, Inc. tweeted an infographic by MyCase that resonated with me. While they were pointing out website marketing mistakes frequently made by law firms, I have found that these are some of the most basic digital marketing strategies that should be taken care of for all small businesses. These issues seem like no-brainers to many Internet marketers, but it’s amazing how many small business clients come to us with many of these issues still lingering… even on brand new websites!
Here are some quick takeaways from this infographic:
Some big marketing issues to point out
- Some businesses opt to build their own website: There are tons of “build your site for free” services available for small businesses out in the world. However, you get what you pay for. As a small business owner, I’m assuming that you’re passionate about something other than building a website. If you’re fantastic as making sandwiches, why would you ever trust me, a digital marketer, to make gourmet sandwiches for you? When it comes to making a good impression on the internet, you don’t need a $10,000 website. You just need a fast, easy to update and navigate, mobile friendly, and high functioning website. Trust an expert to help you build it, and map it out. Think of it this way; your website is going to be the first impression people have of your business. Don’t you want to make an introduction to your company that you can be proud to share?
- Make it mobile responsive: I love mobile responsive sites. One of the biggest reasons is because I’ve had to deal with the big, corporate side of mobile marketing and the small business side. Mobile responsive websites just make internet marketing 100x easier for small, medium, and large businesses. Save time and money by maintaining one website with mobile responsive design.
- Most business owners don’t have time to market, or maintain their web presence: Focus on your business, and the reason why you started it. Let a trusted expert focus on updating, maintaining, and building your web presence. Time is money, so why waste money by trying to update your website yourself when you could be making money with someone who is focused on improving your web presence?
- Build clear, and easy to find calls to action: Whether you want to increase party bookings, landscaping leads, or just customer service, clear and easy to find calls to action can boost sales and improve customer service. TrustWorkz recently had a client who said that she had a party booked at 3AM through her website. If you don’t have clear CTA’s, you could potentially miss your client during their preferred hours. Calls to actions and lead generation forms are just as important as having your phone number listed on your website. Make it easy for your clients to give you money!
- Invest in Search Engine Optimization: If you hear someone saying that SEO is dead, don’t listen to them. They just want your money, and they’re trying to bank on the fact that many small business owners hear of an evolving search environment with little to know idea of how to react. Invest in your website’s SEO. I believe that SEO should be approached as a long term investment versus an event based strategy. Take care of the SEO basics first, and then build a content marketing strategy.
*As a side note, there are some really great digital marketing companies out there that share our view of excellent services. They’re the same folks that I frequently retweet or feature on my site. If you think TrustWorkz isn’t the company for your business, then I would gladly recommend a few others to help you out.